|"JET PROVOST HEAVEN"|
|KNOWN JET PROVOST T.3 SURVIVORS|
|[History of the JP3]||[Back to the known survivors table]|
|HUNTING JET PROVOST T.3A XM357 (N27357)|
|Jet Provost T.3 XM357 was built at Hunting Aviation's Luton factory.
It entered service with the Royal Air Force on August 31st 1959, following a short period at 5MU at Kemble where it was prepared for military service. It's first operational posting was the Central Flying School, based at RAF Little Rissington as aircraft 'R-C'.
Between 1962 and 1964 XM357 was used by numerous RAF Training Schools. In February 1962 the aircraft was transferred to 3FTS based at RAF
Leeming, where it became aircraft '24'. In early 1963 it was part of 2FTS, RAF Syerston as '7', and by the end of the year it was based at RAF Linton-on-Ouse with 1FTS, carrying the code '12'.
On 14th June 1973 XM357 was ferried to Warton for conversion to T.3A status, the first Jet Provost to undergo this upgrade.
The aircraft's next confirmed posting was to RAF St Athan in 1981, where it was used as the Station 'hack'. RAF St Athan is and remains today the RAF's main aircraft maintenance base. XM357 was used to ferry the unit test pilots to the various RAF bases in the UK, so that they could pick up and ferry aircraft back to St Athan for maintenance. The aircraft was placed in store during 1983 at RAF Shawbury.
XM357 was sold by tender at RAF Linton-on-Ouse in 1994, and subsequently exported to the USA.
[Return to top of page]